The Gothic cellar is a remain of one of four palace structures built in the area of the Royal District during the reign of Charles IV in the second half of the 14. century. The space was most probably used as storage while the first floor, nonexistent at present, housed a dinning hall and a chapel in oriel. The structures at royal courtyard were pillaged and destroyed by Hussite troops in 1420. Their ruins were removed during the construction of Baroque fortress.

The permanent exhibition Historical appearances of Vyšehrad is installed in the Gothic Cellar.