THE OLD BURGRAVE’S HOUSE (STARÉ PURKRABSTVÍ)
The Old Burgrave’s House is a palace building constructed in the Royal District during the reign of Charles IV in the second half of the 14th century. It was the only palace building in the location and from this era to survive the pillaging by Hussite militia in 1420, probably thanks to its function as the seat of Vyšehrad’s master of provisions. The current state of the Old Burgrave’s House is a result of a Baroque reconstruction which suited the building to the needs of the Vyšehrad fortress in the 18th century. A recent substantial renovation of the Old Burgrave’s House took place from 2003 to 2005 when an auditorium seating 80 spectators and a café were created in the building.
The auditorium serves as a place for cultural events, an educational school programs’ centre, and it can also be rented.